This edition: Critic John Simon / Remembering Richard GriffithsTweet
Original tape date: May 10, 2013.
First aired: July 6, 2013.
First, eminent critic John Simon celebrates his 88th birthday on the show. He looks back on his distinguished career, which began in 1949 when he wrote a review for the out-of-town tryout of Tennessee Williams’ "A Street Car Named Desire" in The Harvard Advocate and was fired for making it “too positive…because no play can be that good.” Next we replay a 2006 conversation with the late Richard Griffiths (known internationally as “Uncle Vernon in The Harry Potter films), who was then on Broadway, giving his Tony-winning performance in "The History Boys." The master performer and raconteur shares tips on acting, as well as an analysis of the Stanislavsky system that is not to be missed.
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm