This edition: "Shakespeare in America" and "Mama Rose's Turn"Tweet
Original tape date: March 14, 2014.
First aired: June 21, 2014.
Theater Talk focuses on two new books that have captivated our interest. First, Professor James Shapiro of Columbia University returns to discuss his new book SHAKESPEARE IN AMERICA, an anthology of writings about the Bard's impact on our culture. He discusses relevant topics ranging from The Astor Place Riot and Orson Welles' Voodoo MACBETH to King Lear's relationship to the Pullman Strike and Ulysses S. Grant in drag as Desdemona.
Next, we talk to Carolyn Quinn, author of MAMA ROSE'S TURN: THE TRUE STORY OF AMERICA'S MOST NOTORIOUS STAGE MOTHER. She offers us unique insight into the life of Rose Thompson Hovick, the notorious matriarch who was the inspiration for GYPSY, arguably the greatest musical in history.
Carolyn Quinn Author/Biographer, “Mama Rose’s Turn”
James S. Shapiro Author/Educator, “Shakespeare in America”
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 23 - 7:00am
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm