This edition: Art Spiegelman on "The Wild Party"; plus Tribute to Alexander H. CohenTweet
Original tape date: May 4, 2000.
In a rare television interview, artist Art Spiegelman breaks his silence on the musicals: THE WILD PARTY by Michael John LaChiusa and George C. Wolfe, now on Broadway at The Virginia Theatre; and THE WILD PARTY by Andrew Lippa, which played last winter at The Manhattan Theatre Club.
Both works were based on a poem of the same name written in 1926 by Joseph Moncure March. This work had been rescued from obscurity by Spiegelman, when he found an old copy of the poem in a used bookstore and created a beautifully illustrated new edition of the jazz age immorality tale.
It was the Spiegelman edition of THE WILD PARTY, published in 1994, that attracted the attention of composers Lippa and LaChiusa, who, independently of each other, created musical theatricalizations of the work.
Now that both shows have opened, Spiegelman (who didn't work on either of them) candidly shares his view on on how well each productuin realizes the poem and how effectively each works as theater.
Also, on this episode, a brief look back at a THEATER TALK interview with the prolific and flamboyant producer Alexander H. Cohen. Cohen died recently after a career of over 50 years in the theater during which he made a significant contribution to Broadway and the world of the stage.
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 23 - 7:00am
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm