This edition: "Spring Awakening"Tweet
Original tape date: October 9, 2015.
First aired: October 31, 2015.
Theater Talk focusses on Spring Awakening, Deaf West Theatre's stunning musical revival now on Broadway. This radical reinterpretation of the TONY-winning musical adaptation of Frank Wedekind's 1890 play features both deaf and hearing actors in this story about sexual repression and adolescent angst in pre-World War I Germany.
Guests include Michael Arden, who conceived and directed this new production of Steven Sater and Duncan Sheik's 2006 rock musical, which makes the story not only about young people struggling with societal restraints and their burgeoning sexuality, but the additional problem of deaf adolescents in a hearing community unwilling to communicate with them. Actors Alex Boniello, Daniel Durant, Marlee Matlin and Camryn Manheim also appear on our show, along with Jack Jason, who serves as the ASL interpreter for both Matlin and Durant.
Michael Arden Director, “Spring Awakening”
Alex Boniello Actor, Singer & Musician, “Spring Awakening”
Daniel N. Durant Actor, “Spring Awakening”
Jesse Green Guest Co-host & Theater Critic, New York Magazine
Jack Jason ASL Interpreter
Camryn Manheim Actress, “Spring Awakening”
Marlee Matlin Actress, “Spring Awakening”
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Monday, August 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- The New Stars of "Hamilton"
- Monday, August 20 - 7:30am, 1:30pm