This edition: Jeff Daniels in "Blackbird"Tweet
Original tape date: April 15, 2016.
First aired: May 21, 2016.
Theater Talk presents a not-to-be-missed conversation with actor Jeff Daniels, now nominated for a Best Lead Actor in a Play TONY for his role in David Harrower's devastating drama "Blackbird," itself nominated for the TONY for Best Revival of a Play.
In an enlightening and often funny interview, Daniels talks about working with actress Michelle Williams and director Joe Mantello to create a fresh and unique performance of the powerful drama, 8 shows a week, every week until their limited run at the Belasco Theatre ends on June 11, 2016. Daniels looks back on his early days, "fresh out of a cornfield," as an intern at Marshall W. Mason's Circle Rep Theatre, as well as his discouraging first job on Broadway as an understudy in Albert Innaurato's "Gemini." Daniels also discusses his Purple Rose Theatre in Michigan, his Emmy-winning lead in Aaron Sorkin's TV series "The Newsroom" and why he followed that role up by doing the box-office smash "Dumb and Dumber To" with Jim Carrey.
Jeff Daniels Actor; Founder, The Purple Rose Theatre Company
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm