This edition: "The Encounter" and "Les Liaisons Dangereuses"Tweet
Original tape date: October 14, 2016.
First aired: November 4, 2016.
Simon McBurney, creator/director and star of “The Encounter,” discusses his engrossing and technically immersive solo show on Broadway, based on the true experience in 1969 of a National Geographic photographer, Loren McIntyre, lost in the Brazilian jungle. McIntyre became totally dependent for survival on a tribe of indigenous people there, the Mayoruna, who were in the process of fleeing the forces of civilization encroaching on their homeland in search of oil and other sources of wealth. McIntyre, caught up in the lifestyle and beliefs of the Mayoruna, joined them in their nomadic quest to find the "beginning of time" and redemption, a story that McBurney acts out in this remarkable show.
Next, we talk to British playwright/screenwriter Christopher Hampton, who adapted “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” from the scandalous 1782 epistolary novel by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos. Like the novel, Hampton's play became a huge and unexpected success when it premiered in 1985. Hampton is now overseeing its third Broadway production, starring Liev Schreiber and Janet McTeer.
Christopher Hampton Playwright, “Les Liaisons Dangereuses”
Simon McBurney Conceiver/Director/Performer, “The Encounter”
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 23 - 7:00am
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm